How to stay healthy over the christmas holidays
Staying healthy over the holidays can be hard for everyone. Platters of homemade cookies and other rich foods, extra tasks such as shopping and wrapping, visiting friends and family and being in larger crowds of people all put stress on the body and mind.
To help people stay healthy and avoid weight gain over the holidays, try these tips:
- Get adequate sleep of at least seven hours per night. Maintaining a regular sleep pattern will allow the body to stay refreshed.
- Eat nutritious foods. Limit sweets and high fat food intake.
- Avoid excessive drinking. A hangover worsens fatigue and energy levels.
- Try to maintain an exercise program of 20 to 30 minutes a day.
- Relax. Take a 10- to 15-minute break to recharge.
- Wash hands often and before eating.
- Avoid taking on too much at once which causes additional stress and fatigue.
- Watch food portions. Cut portions in half if needed.
- Reduce the possibility of food-borne illness. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
- Take a multivitamin everyday which contains extra Vitamin C.