- A carbon offset zeros out (offsets) all or part of the carbon dioxide emissions of a party, by reducing the emissions of another party or increasing carbon dioxide absorption using carbon sinks This reduces net greenhouse gas emissions with the aim of combating global warming. Effectively offsetting the emissions of an activity makes that activity "carbon neutral".
- However, some controversy surrounds carbon-offset tree-planting projects, due to uncertainty about the science and accounting of sequestration coupled with criticism from community groups who have been adversely affected by certain projects.Carbon Offset Wikipedia
 carbon offset tips
- Offset your car carbon emissions by paying Greenfleet $40 (tax deductible) to plant 17 trees on your behalf. These trees will help to create a forest, and as they grow will absorb the greenhouse gases that your car produces in one year (based on 4.3 tonnes of CO2 for the average car).
- Science shows that 17 mixed species trees will not only absorb a car's greenhouse emissions, but will also help to tackle salinity, improve water quality and provide essential habitat for native species.
- Trees for Travelers offers a similar programme for New Zealand and you can monitor the growth of your tree online. Your tree choices range from $20 for a shrub, to $40 for a large heritage tree. Details of the native trees, along with photos can be found on their site.
- Tree-Nation is an ecological project with the objective to plant 8 million trees in the Sahara to fight desertification as a consequence of climate change! Large-scale plantation of trees will increase the land's productivity and re-generate the soil. Tree-nation is an online community in which you can buy your own tree and become the guardian of a real and happy tree that we will plant in our park in Niger. The project will benefit local populations in terms of welfare, education and farming practices.
- Calculate the greenhouse effect of your car, houshold and flight.
- Carbon offsetting schemes are controversial. See George Monbiot's arguments against them as a means to tackle global warming. Please see the discussion.
- Applications to the Carbon Neutral Fund can now be made by members of the Permaculture Association for the first round of this annual grant scheme of £1000. Projects must be able to show that they will be contributing to reducing carbon emissions / atmospheric carbon, be able to provide evidence of how the grant will be used for wider dissemination, and demonstrate how permaculture design thinking has been used.
 Other carbon offset websites
- www.carbonbalanced.org carbonoffset
- www.treehugger.com survey of carbon offset schemes